Monday, March 30, 2015

Adventure Biking

OK, I admit it.  I'm an avid cyclist - big time.  I rode upper-end lightweight racing bikes for years - my 1975 Windsor English Racer has literally thousands of miles on it since I bought it new - and I still ride it occasionally nowadays.  It's unbelievably fast, but as age and weight has slowed me somewhat, I ride it less.  Recently my sweetie bought me a mountain bike for my birthday, and it has opened a whole new aspect for me.  I used to ride Bultaco off road motorcycles - a 1975 Alpina trials bike and a 1972 Matador enduro to be specific - so cycling in the woods was a familiar return to nature for me.  So while my Windsor and I can crank 40-plus miles per hour on a nice long paved bike trail, my new 2015 Giant Revel 3 allows me to get off road and explore some of those interesting, winding bike trails that meander through the Florida woods. Its ultra-low gearing and knobby high-grip tires can pull through even the finest white sugar sand that's common in Florida's hardwood forests.

Both of these bikes are top shelf bikes for their intended use, and I love 'em both.  But to try to figure which is the better bike is impossible:  how can you compare a Porsche 911 to a Chevy Silverado 4x4?  I've owned both, and I love both of them as well.  Each is designed for a specific purpose, and it performs that purpose perfectly.  That said, I thought I'd share some recent adventures with you as I explore the road less traveled in west central Florida's exquisite woodlands.  Trails?  I don't need no stinkin' trails!



Besides, I'm momentarily weary of commenting on the deceit, corruption and destruction being perpetrated on the county by the Democratic party and its adherents such as the Kenyan, Hillary, Harry "Cyclops" Reid and many others.  So go get your off road bike, and join me on one of these fabulous trails . . . and take a respite from the political nonsense that's being thrust upon us.

At least for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment